Monday, October 22, 2007

Influences

So there is this artist named Phil Hansen who does some incredible work that is completely unconventional. This is a series of paintings he did on his stomach. Instead of doing each one separately he painted them on top of one another. Each painting was about someone in his life that had influenced him in some way. Once he was finished he peeled off the solid layer of paint and made a self portrait. Watch this video. It is amazing!




It makes me wonder who I would paint if I were to share my influences with the world. There are artists and authors and celebrities and other people I have never met. I think, in the end, the people who have influenced me most have been my friends and family. I guess that is a no brainer. But when people are spending more and more time online on YouTube and other sites commenting on blogs for people they've never met, are our own influences shrinking or growing? Are we losing true friendships and replacing them with each other's computer alter egos? Phil Hansen has now influenced me but how long will it last? Probably not nearly as long as if I had seen his work in real life. So thanks Phil for the amusing Monday. We'll see who will be my entertainment tomorrow.

1 comment:

Quattro Chris said...

In a way we are losing true friendships and making online ones with alter egos. It is when you start to like the other person, that you realize there was a point in time you wish you could go back to, and change when the lies started.