Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Why are Girls So Mean?

Today a friend of mine disclosed some shocking information. In this guy's 21 years of life, seven out of seven "serious relationships" have ended because the female has cheated on him. That is 100 percent! This information completely floored me because this guy is not a schmuck. I could understand cheating on a guy who was a schmuck. However, this one is actually the opposite of a schmuck (I like the word 'schmuck' can you tell?). He is quite chivalrous (buys us pizza and beer), has an incredible sense of humor and will one day have a huge collection of really nice cars. What more could you ask for? Maybe someone nice to look at...oh wait, he is.

So what is the deal ladies? I understand the
wanting to cheat part of the equation but the actual cheating is a little hard for me to understand. Yes, everyone should have their fantasies and their crushes at work or school but acting upon it is a different story. I firmly believe that if I were dead set on acting upon any feelings outside of my relationship, I would break away from the relationship first. I would, at the very least, talk about it. Maybe I am just blinded by my own successful relationships to see the point of view of others in different situations.

My roommate told me she cheated once. She cheated on her boyfriend with a mutual friend in another city. Once and only once she cheated and she regrets it until this day. She got nothing out of it. She vowed never to do it again and she never has. But she paid for it over and over. He friends treated her differently. Her boyfriend, who she eventually got back together with, never trusted her ever again. He never really got over it and was always overprotective of the time she spent away from him. Disclaimer: they recently broke up (again)...(for good). Lesson: cheating will tear down anything you have taken the time to build up.

I think, for the most part, I am haunted by the phrase, "once a cheater, always a cheater." My biggest fear is that, at some point in my life, I will cheat and then I will become "that girl." "Megan is the girl who cheats" will be sung across the land and everyone will label me an awful person. I would lose all my credibility as a girlfriend and as a friend. Saying "sorry" just doesn't cut it and, "I cheated on you" can never be taken back.

2 comments:

A.Venegas said...

True dat.

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

oh wow, I thought I was the only one whos dream guy would be the one who bought me pizza and beer...

If you don't want to be a cheater, don't be. period.